With earnings season currently underway (The Trade Desk Reports Q4 Earnings Beating Estimates) and IPOs in the AdTech sector starting to ramp up (Snapchat, AppNexus), it might be useful to take a look at some of the mergers and acquisitions and fundraising activities that took place last year, and also review what 2017 would look like.
Results International, a global M&A advisor recently released their annual review report on the state of the global advertising and marketing technology sectors focussing on investment fundraising and exits. You can download their 2016 Annual Review edition of the AdTech & MarTech Barometer.
- M&A in 2016 only lagged behind 2014 in the number of deals (412 vs 428)
- M&A in 2017 will continue to be strong due to:
- Buyers/Investors are from diverse sectors
- Private Equity interest increasing
- New platforms and technologies being built to solve actual problems
- Traditional media & telecom giants looking to monetize content better
- Buyers from Asia investing in already proven technology in the West